Your Shepherd Hut is fully customizable from the ground up. As long as you want a skillfully crafted Shepherd Hut made from high-quality materials, we can make it.
The door and window styles usually set the tone for the rest of the hut and are a good place to start. They also determine whether the space will be open or more private and how much wall space your hut will have for built-ins and certain furnishings. If you already have something in mind, that’s great! Tell us about it and we can get started. If you need ideas, we provide many options to choose from.
From there, you can choose siding, roofing, and flooring. We can do just about any carpet, hardwood, tile, or other option you can dream of.
Next, you choose the built-ins you want added. Alcove beds, closets, cabinets, bunk beds, shelves, racks—we can build any reasonable request you have.
Typical customizations might be:
- Traditional English lock set with skeleton key
- Traditional undercarriage- (though we recommend keeping the modern axle spindles)
- Spray foam insulation for locations with extremely cold winters
- Powder room with numerous fixture choices (lengthens hut by 2 feet)
- Radiant floor heat
- Flooring material selection (carpet, hardwood, tile, etc.), including tile choice in powder room
- Wainscote or various wall covering options
- Shop built door and/or windows
- Siding to match house (restricted to only clear wood or other high quality finish)
- Aluminum-clad wood windows for reduced maintenance
- Dutch, double, or glass doors
- Beds, cupboards or cabinets
- High end lighting fixtures
- Custom cast bronze wheels
- And whatever your imagination and checkbook can manage (and our quality standards)
All of our more significant built-in customizations will be securely installed in a way that allows for their relatively simple future removal or modification while minimally affecting the integrity of the hut.
NOTE: Many English Shepherd Hut companies offer wood stove options. They look great and offer a real “atmosphere” that seems appropriate. We can install a wood stove if it’s what you want, but we have our doubts about their practicality. Our huts are very well insulated (typically 1″ thicker than most UK huts) and anything above a low heat would quickly become oppressive. Wood stoves also take up a lot of space that could be put to better use. Finally, long periods of low heat are generally not good for maintaining a clean stove pipe.
We would like to invite you to explore the image gallery offered by Plankbridge: Dorset Hutmakers to experience additional customization options and design ideas.